Wednesday, May 23, 2007

All Things Are Subservient

The Heidelberg Catechism gives me a fresh opportunity to reflect upon the profits of pain.

Question: What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

My favorite phrase in this rich answer is "all things must be subservient to my salvation," because it shifts the onus of the activity from the pain itself to the purpose behind it. These momentary afflictions are achieving for me an eternal weight of glory!

So, it is in light of this truth that I ask myself, “What are my afflictions today?”

Yes, I am afflicted with physical pain. Yes, its tentacles have managed to invade almost every part of my life. But is this my deepest affliction?

The afflictions that I have felt almost as keenly as the pain today are these: despair, pride, self-pity, and anger. The pain with which I am currently dealing has this prescient manner of pinpointing those deep-rooted struggles in my life. It’s almost as though the pain is serving in this sanctification which is a part of my ultimate salvation. Do you hear the echo of the catechism? Or, more importantly, do you hear the reverberations of Scripture?

If you had asked me a month ago, I would have vigorously denied that I felt any pride in my physical appearance--in my body or the way I took care of it. I would have denied that I felt pride in my workaholism or in my tendency to “give, give, give” in relationships. I truly did not know that these things were my (false) righteousness; I did not know that I took comfort in them. But if you ask me these questions today, I will be forced to humbly give you a different account. For this fire is both revealing and refining. I am wounded that I may be healed.

A friend sent me this quotation today from Octavius Winslow's The Precious Things of God: "You will know more of Jesus in one sanctified trial than in wading through a library of volumes or in listening to a lifetime of sermons." Let it be, Lord! Let it be.

Trial, be sanctified. Soul, be comforted. All things are subservient to the salvation of those whom the Lord loves.

No comments: